MTM certification is earned by pharmacists who have demonstrated a high level of proficiency in the core standards of medication therapy management. This credential is awarded through a thorough examination covering four domains:
- Defining Medication Therapy Management and Translating Medication Therapy Management into Practice
- Medication Therapy Management Pharmacotherapy
- Patient Care Advocacy in Medication Therapy Management
- MTM Documentation and Billing
Why MTM certification is important
- Professional Opportunities. MTM certification a professional distinction that the healthcare industry demands and employers and consumers expect.
- Career Advancement. MTM certification demonstrates knowledge, expertise and professional experience needed to serve patients in the emerging models of care and patients with complex health challenges.
- Increased Credibility. MTM certification displays the competency to practice independently, promote quality and safety and protect the public.
Requirements for certification
Maintain a current, valid pharmacist license.
The candidate must complete two (2) years of practice experience, post-licensure, with experience in medication therapy in retail pharmacy, community pharmacy, or ambulatory care pharmacy. Experience can be waived if the applicant successfully completes an NBMTM-approved training program in medication therapy management. Approved training programs are:
- Power-Pak C.E.® Certificate Program in Medication Therapy Management. Read more.
- APhA’s Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services Certificate Training Program. Read more.
- University of Southern California’s Advanced Practice Pharmacist Certificate in Comprehensive Medication Management (CMM).
- University of Florida’s graduate certificate in Comprehensive Medication Management (CMM).
- University of Florida’s Master’s degree in Medication Therapy Management.
- Residency in medication therapy management or ambulatory care pharmacy (PGY-1 or PGY-2)
How to get MTM certified
We recommend the following activities before you register for the exam:
- Analyze the exam content
- Study the BCMTMS resource list
- Review the Frequently Asked Questions about BCMTMS
- Read the Candidate Handbook
If you would like to prepare prior to your exam, consider taking the free online BCMTMS practice exam.