MTM certification is earned by
who have demonstrated a high level of proficiency in the core standards of medication therapy management. This credential is awarded through a thorough examination covering four
- Defining Medication Therapy Management and Translating Medication Therapy Management into Practice
- Medication Therapy Management Pharmacotherapy
- Patient Care Advocacy in Medication Therapy Management
- MTM Documentation and Billing
Why MTM certification is important
MTM certification a professional distinction that the healthcare industry demands and employers and
MTM certification demonstrates knowledge, expertise and professional experience needed to serve patients in the emerging models of care and patients with complex health challenges.
MTM certification displays the competency to practice independently, promote quality and safety and protect the public.
Requirements for certification
Maintain a current, valid pharmacist license.
The candidate must complete two (2) years of practice experience, post-licensure, with experience in medication therapy in retail pharmacy, community pharmacy, or ambulatory care pharmacy. Experience can be waived if the applicant
successfully completes an NBMTM-approved training program in medication therapy management. Approved training programs are:
- Power-Pak C.E.® Certificate Program in Medication Therapy Management. Read more.
- APhA’s Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services Certificate Training Program. Read more.
- University of Southern California’s Advanced Practice Pharmacist Certificate in Comprehensive
Medication Management (CMM).
- University of Florida’s graduate certificate in Comprehensive Medication Management (CMM).
- University of Florida’s Master’s degree in Medication Therapy Management.
- Residency in medication therapy management or ambulatory care pharmacy (PGY-1 or PGY-2)
How to get MTM certified
We recommend the following activities before you register for the exam:
If you would like to prepare prior to your exam, consider taking the free online BCMTMS practice exam.