An option to be Grandfathered the BCMTMS™ credential will be available to highly experienced pharmacists in good standing who meet the Grandfathering Program Eligibility Requirements. In order to accelerate the development of a network of recognized professionals and of the knowledge, NBMTM has established Grandfathering procedures.
The requirements for eligibility are stricter than the regular eligibility requirements because there is no exam required. Requirements of certification by the Grandfathering Route are established by the Certification Committee under supervision of the Chair of the Board.
Minimum requirements to be eligible for the Grandfathering Program.
- Applicants must be a licensed pharmacist in good standing.
- Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree in pharmacy.
- Applicants must demonstrate significant work experience and expertise.
- Applicants must provide any proof of other professional designations or certifications that will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Applicants must attest that they will abide by the NBMTM Code of Ethics and agree to the Statement of Understanding.
- Applicants must submit the appropriate application fee. The cost to apply for certification through the Grandfathering Program is $250.
There are three key elements to the substantive assessment of applications for certification by Grandfathering:
- Access. Certification by Grandfathering is subject to certain conditions, notably a minimum experience. The level required is higher for the certification by the Grandfathering Route than by the Exam Route.
- Conditions for certification by Grandfathering. A certain number of conditions have to be fulfilled by the applicant. These conditions are related to the experience and practice in pharmacy, training, publication activities, managerial or academia experience. The applicant is requested to provide sufficient information and to prove their declaration by providing track records, certifications, degrees, attestations, etc.
- Recertification conditions. Applications for recertification must be submitted by applicants before the end of their 5-year valitdity. Once granted, the validity of the recertification will be identical to the original certification. Recertification will not be examined without simultaneous payment of the appropriate fee. Recertification can only be obtained at the level achieved previously.
The Certification Committee is appointed by the Board and shall report, through the Executive Director, to the Certification Committee and to the Board.
The Certification Committee shall scrutinize all complete applications for certification.
The Certification Committee will normally seek to deal with complete applications within four weeks of receipt.
The Certification Committee draws up the rules and guidelines for how the criteria should be applied and will present them to the Board. Upon experience, the Certification Committee may propose some changes to the criteria to the Committee for discussion and approval by the Board.
If an Applicant appeals against a decision of the Certification Committee, that applicant shall be requested to make a written appeal setting out their case within 30 days after the receipt of the decision of non-approval of the Certification Committee. The appeal will be considered by the Executive Director, acting in consultation with the Chair of the Certification Committee. Their decision will be final and will normally be conveyed to the applicant within 30 days of receipt of the appeal. All such cases will be reported to the Board.
Revocation of Certification
Voluntary revocation: in the case of voluntary revocation, the certified person shall send a written notice to NBMTM. The revocation shall be acknowledged within 30 days of receipt of the notice.
Misuse of BCMTMS credentials: Certification will be revoked if it is misused by the recipient.
Should an organization, recipient or any other person misuse the certification, the Board shall take any legal action that it considers appropriate. NBMTM shall maintain a public registry of BCMTMS.
No refund is possible in case of revocation.
How to Apply
- Carefully review the Grandfathering Program Eligibility Requirements.
- Have the required forms completed and signed.
- Utilize the Application Checklist to ensure you have everything you need before you start your application.
- Click the Apply Now button to start the application.
- Utilize the instructions to navigate the online application system.
- After completing your application and being found eligible for the grandfathering program, you will receive a confirmation email to schedule an interview with the Executive Director.
- You will be notified via email and mail after your Grandfathering application has been reviewed and approved.
- You will receive additional instructions in your confirmation letter and via email how to proceed with payment.
- After payment, you will receive your official certificate within 4 to 6 weeks.