The National Board of Medication Therapy Management (NBMTM) is an independent, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that was founded to protect the public by assessing and certifying pharmacists who meet specific educational, training, professional requirements, and demonstrate the requisite knowledge, skill, and understanding of medication therapy management (MTM).
The NBMTM has established a thorough evaluation process and implemented initiatives that continually improve the standards of its certification.
We consult with a wide range of people, including patients, pharmacists, employers, vendors, and academicians to develop our standards and guidance.
We have four core organizational values:
- Excellence: we are committed to excellence and continuous quality improvement.
- Fairness: we treat everyone fairly.
- Transparency: we are honest and strive to be open and transparent.
- Collaboration: we are a listening and learning organization.
These values form the basis on which the NBMTM operates.
Each of our actions demonstrates our character and beliefs. Each member of our organization acts in a way that is consistent with our values principles.
The National Board of Medication Therapy Management will create, promote, and sustain a culture in which the highest quality patient care is provided by pharmacists who attain and maintain certification in medication therapy management.
Our responsibilities include the following:
- Development of minimum requirements for board certification to be used.
- Approval of certification of qualified candidates for board certification.
- Development, implementation, and revision of policies and procedures related to board certification process.
The NBMTM does not:
- License pharmacists, which is a function of the state boards of pharmacy.
- Have responsibility for pharmacy employment.
- Make decisions regarding MTM pharmacists workforce.
- Provide continuing education courses or other pharmacy training.