Requirements for Board Eligibility
Board Eligibility is necessary to participate in the certification process and sit for the NBMTM certification examination. A candidate must meet all the following requirements:
A. The candidate must hold a pharmacy degree from a school of pharmacy accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) or the Canadian Council For Accreditation of Pharmacy Programs. Foreign Graduate Pharmacists (FGP) must hold an equivalent degree to the requirements of a U.S. pharmacy degree by submitting proof of U.S. pharmacy licensing or a report from Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE).
B. The candidate must hold a valid, unexpired, and unrestricted license to practice in at least one state, commonwealth, territory, possession of the United States or province of Canada. If the pharmacist is licensed outside of the United States the license must be valid, unexpired and unrestricted to meet this requirement.
C. The applicant must complete one of the following:
- Two (2) years of practice experience, post-licensure, with experience in medication therapy in retail pharmacy, community pharmacy, or ambulatory care pharmacy. Please note practice experience in inpatient hospital pharmacy, long-term care pharmacy, infusion pharmacy, nuclear pharmacy, or any other pharmacy specialty that does not involve direct patient care will not be eligible.
- The applicant must successfully complete an NBMTM-approved training program in medication therapy management. Approved training programs are:
- 1. Power-Pak C.E.® Certificate Program in Medication Therapy Management.
- 2. APhA’s Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services Certificate Training Program.
- The applicant must hold a master’s degree in Medication Therapy Management.
- The applicant must complete a residency in MTM or ambulatory care pharmacy (PGY-1 or PGY-2).
D. Agree to abide by the Code of Ethical and Professional Conduct.
F. Payment of required application fees.
Final acceptance of board eligibility is subject to satisfactory review by the NBMTM.