The National Board of Medication Therapy Management (NBMTM) was incorporated in 2017 in response to the need for a valid certification process for pharmacists specializing in medication therapy management.
The purpose of board certification by the National Board of Medication Therapy Management is to provide assurance to the public and the health profession that a board certified pharmacist in medication therapy management has successfully completed an accredited educational program and an evaluation process, including a secure and proctored examination.
The NBMTM also assures that the board certified pharmacist possesses the knowledge, skills, and experience requisite to the provision of high-quality patient care for medication therapy management. The NBMTM believes that all pharmacists providing medication therapy management should have a fundamental knowledge of the clinical basics to this specialty and that the NBMTM is responsible for the establishment and maintenance of the standards of knowledge required for certification.
Objectives of Board Certification
To advance medication therapy management (MTM) as a professional specialty by:
- Identifying knowledge that is essential to the pharmacist providing medication therapy management.
- Advancing cooperation and information exchange among the many disciplines and organizations.
- Recognizing those who meet the eligibility requirements for certification.
- Encouraging continued professional growth and development of individuals and the field of medication therapy management.
- Raising standards and elevating the importance of ethical behavior among pharmacists, by requiring the board certified pharmacist to adhere to a strict code of ethics and professional standards.