Board Certification Process
- The National Board of Medication Therapy Management (NBMTM) is the only accrediting body specifically for MTM certification.
- The NBMTM, an independent, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is a board certifying body that administers MTM certification examinations, as well as continuous certification requirements.
- The following stages represent key milestones in the process to obtain Board Certification in Medication Therapy Management.
Benefits of Board Certification
- Maintain a current, valid pharmacist license.
The candidate must complete two (2) years of practice experience, post-licensure, with experience in medication therapy in retail pharmacy, community pharmacy, or ambulatory care pharmacy. Experience can be waived if the applicant successfully completes an NBMTM-approved training program in medication therapy management. Approved training programs are:
- Power-Pak C.E.® Certificate Program in Medication Therapy Management. Read more.
- APhA’s Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services Certificate Training Program. Read more.
- University of Florida’s graduate certificate in Comprehensive Medication Management (CMM).
- University of Florida’s Master’s degree in Medication Therapy Management.
- Residency in medication therapy management or ambulatory care pharmacy (PGY-1 or PGY-2).
Exam Content & Pricing
Certification Candidate Handbook
Information for candidates, including detailed information about policies and procedures relevant to computer-based testing and exam application, has been integrated into one PDF document. The Certification Candidate Handbook explains:
- Steps to Certification
- Accessing and using the myNBMTM portal.
- Registering and scheduling the exam.
- Preparing for the certification exam.
- Exam content information, format, and scoring.
- Requirements for maintaining your certification.