On this page
- About the Certification Examination
- Objectives of Certification
- Eligibility Requirements
- Renewing Lapsed/Expired Certification
- Maintenance of Certification
- Copyrighted Examination Questions
- Statement of Non-Discrimination
About the Certification Examination
The BCMTMS™ examination is the standardized measure of the basic knowledge, skills, and abilities expected of professionals working in the field of medication therapy management. The BCMTMS™ examination is offered six days a week. The BCMTMS™ exam is only available in English.
The BCMTMS™ examination is an objective, multiple-choice examination consisting of 200 questions (180 of these questions are used in computing the score, as discussed later in this handbook). The examination content is based upon results of a job task analysis, which is a survey of practicing professionals in medication therapy management that are conducted by the National Board of Medication Therapy Management every 2-3 years. The most recent job task analysis was conducted in 2017. The job task analysis determines the scope of knowledge and responsibilities that are currently required by, and are representative of, pharmacists providing medication therapy management. It is important to recognize that examination content is based on this information, even though all elements of the examination may not seem to be directly relevant to every individual taking the exam.
The NBMTM is responsible for determining the examination content outline, developing and maintaining an item bank of approved examination questions, approving individual exam applications, and setting the standard for minimum competency in the form of the exam passing score.
Individual eligibility for admission to the examination is based on criteria set by the NBMTM. Our testing company Scantron® is responsible for the examination administration, examination security, scoring and statistical analysis of examination content.
Objectives of Certification and Maintenance
The purpose of the certification and maintenance process is to protect the public by:
- Providing standardized measurement of current essential knowledge needed for pharmacists providing medication therapy management;
- Encouraging individual growth and study, thereby promoting professionalism among pharmacists in medication therapy management; and
- Formally recognizing pharmacists in medication therapy management who fulfill the requirements for certification and maintenance.
Pharmacists in medication therapy management must meet the eligibility requirements and pass the BCMTMS™ exam to become board certified. Board certification in medication therapy management is valid from the year of successful examination and must maintain certification. Certified professionals who do not maintain their certification will lose their BCMTMS™ designation as of December 31st of the last year of the certification period. Use of the BSMTMS designation is prohibited until they have reapplied and successfully passed the BCMTMS™ exam.
Eligibility Requirements for Initial Certification (and for Lapsed Certificants)
In order to qualify to sit for your initial certification, you must apply to take the initial certification examination. In order to be eligible to take the initial certification exam, you must meet ALL of the following requirements:
A. The candidate must hold a pharmacy degree from a school of pharmacy accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) or the Canadian Council For Accreditation of Pharmacy Programs. Foreign Graduate Pharmacists (FGP) must hold an equivalent degree to the requirements of a U.S. pharmacy degree by submitting proof of U.S. pharmacy licensing or a report from Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE).
B. The candidate must hold a valid, unexpired, and unrestricted license to practice in at least one state, commonwealth, territory, possession of the United States or province of Canada. If the pharmacist is licensed outside of the United States the license must be valid, unexpired and unrestricted to meet this requirement.
C. The candidate must complete two (2) years of practice experience, post-licensure, with experience in medication therapy in retail pharmacy, community pharmacy, or ambulatory care pharmacy. Please note practice experience in inpatient hospital pharmacy, long-term care pharmacy, infusion pharmacy, nuclear pharmacy, or any other pharmacy specialty that does not involve direct patient care will not be eligible.
Experience can be waived if the applicant successfully completes an NBMTM-approved training program in medication therapy management. Approved training programs are:
- APhA’s Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services Certificate Training Program.
- Power-Pak C.E.® Certificate Program in Medication Therapy Management.
- University of Southern California’s Advanced Practice Pharmacist Certificate in Comprehensive Medication Management (CMM).
- University of Florida’s graduate certificate in Comprehensive Medication Management (CMM).
- University of Florida’s Master’s degree in Medication Therapy Management.
- Residency in medication therapy management or ambulatory care pharmacy (PGY-1 or PGY-2).
Renewing Lapsed/Expired Certification
If you fail to maintain your certification when you are due and later decide that you would like to once again be certified, you must meet the criteria for initial certification and reapply as a new candidate.
Maintenance of Certification
Maintenance of certification is required in order to maintain the BCMTMS™ designation.
Renewal requirements run in 5-year cycles (Jan. 1-Dec. 31). After each cycle, the certified individual report on these requirements by completing a brief online form, the CE Status Form. Check your CE status anytime at nbmtm.org.
- A current, unrestricted license is required. An unrestricted license is not currently being subjected to formal discipline by any state board of pharmacy and has no provisions or conditions that limit the pharmacist’s practice in any way.
- Completion of 50 CEs relevant to your practice over a 5-year cycle
- Renewal fee of $200.
The form is due by March 1 (2 months after the end of 5-year cycle). You will first enter your CE activities into the CE Repository. The number of CEs due will be noted at the top of the repository.
Copyrighted Examination Questions
All examination questions are the copyrighted property of NBMTM. It is forbidden under federal copyright law to copy, reproduce, record, distribute or display these examination questions by any means, in whole or in part. Doing so may subject the candidate to civil and criminal penalties. Candidates are forbidden from describing or sharing examination content.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
NBMTM offers examinations to all eligible persons regardless of age, gender, race, religion, national origin or disability.